Wednesday, April 30, 2014

DONT HATE- CONSECRATE

Title: Don't Hate--Consecrate
 
So absent-mindedly before I took a shower the other morning, I said "don't hate--appreciate." I don't know why. I just say things sometimes without really thinking about them. So anyway, it came to companion study and my companion had apparently been so inspired by that 3 word statement that she spent her entire personal study studying charity and all of the things we could do instead of hate--relate, create, instigate, rate, wait, congregate, illuminate....and all other things creative. We had made a transfer goal to be more charity minded, and so these little chant things have now become our life. For example-- "when your companion makes you late and you have to catch a train--don't hate, accelerate."Or..."when the road is split in two so that a boat can go on through--don't hate, wait." Or..."when the dikes break and put your life at stake, don't hate--evacuate!"(hopefully that wont happen...but it is the first monday of the month and that's always the day they test the dike alarms to see if they work.) You get the point. We have decided that the overall THEME for our transfer, however, is "don't hate--consecrate." And this, because, well, have you read the talk "Becoming a Consecrated Missionary"? That's why.
 
The crownin event this week that helped me stop hatin was that General Conference. I love when the prophet and apostles get up and speak. Their words are so good and I am so glad to have been able to hear them. I am so thankful for the opportunity that we have to recieve guidance and council from them. They're words are definitely inspired and I learn so much. The spirit is real there. We played conference bingo,ate an M&M for every time they said the word "atonement," and enjoyed. The talks about love are probably soon to be printed out and posted over our whole apartment.
 
This week was really special because we had some really great days. We went from town to tuin (tuin, pronounced like town, means garden in dutch. the backyard type of garden. the ordinary garden. not the super special hof type of garden.) anyway, we did a lot of garden work. I feel like doing garden work really enhances one's understanding of the scriptures. On friday, we basically lived Jacod 5 and the parable of the olive tree and grafting in of the branches in the vineyard. I did a lot of pruning, all the while, the phrase "I am the gardener here, and I know exactly what I want you to be." and "thank you, Mr. Gardner, for cutting me down. For loving me enough to hurt me"(if you don't know that mormon message, look it up!) I did a lot of grafting in of the branches, all the while thinking of the Savior's love for us and patience with us. It isn't easy, grafting branches. You have to wait until they match up really well and then bind em together. You have to make sure you don't cut your thumb. You have to make sure the top isn't too heavy for the bottom to support.But the servant in the vineyard goes forth everytime, to prune and to graft in the branches, all the while knowing that there is nothing more that He could be doing for His vineyard. What more could I be doing for mine? I like to think that that is my mission question-- I hope that I can look back and honestly be able to ask myself-- "what more could I have done for my vineyard?" That is my unquenchable quest.
 
Highlights of the week (besides general conference and living Jacob 5) are:
-jumping on a trampoline
-holding a duck
-acquiring duck eggs
-swinging across a tiny canal on a rope swing
-climbing a tree
 
not sure if these things are really that kosher with the white handbook but I wasn't able to find evidence against it. Also, we were with an investigator..'s neighbor. That's good, right?
 
well, kids. Don't hate. Consecrate. Give life your all--these are your "four minutes." And if you're thinking "I already messed up, I already blew my 4 minutes' then you need to STOP thinking that and NEVER think it again."
 
Love's the only house.
xoxo
 
Zuster Hoff

No comments:

Post a Comment