Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Worth of a Soul

Today, I was reflecting on a time back when I was at work closing one night and my co-workers were asking me questions about my mission. One question was: is there a quota set for how many baptisms you need each week?

I have problems with this question. While, I admit, it's a good question, for people who aren't familiar with the work, it's such a sad question.

The answer is no.

The answer is no because each individual is a person. Not a number. Of course we keep track of membership, because the way of the Lord and the way of the church is to "establish a house...of order," and to keep track of that sort of thing is very important, but one baptism is not just another member and another number.

One person affects generations.

"The worth of souls is great in the sight of God....and if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people and bring save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my father." DC 18:10, 15-16

Heavenly Father doesn't love us as a population. Jesus Christ didn't die for the collective whole human race. God loves every single person individually. He knows your strengths, your weaknesses, your needs, your faults. Christ saw your face specifically while suffering through the crucifixion.

Being a member is not just being a number published in an annual report. Baptizing people is not just adding to that number.

I am going to serve because I know the impact this gospel has had on me. I owe my life to it. And I know there are people out there searching for something to give their lives meaning. This is it. I KNOW that this is it. THAT'S what serving is about. It's not about adding numbers.

Because why on earth would I want to waste a year and a half of my life trying to collect people to this church for the sole purpose of it having membership? You think most 18 year old boys care about that sort of thing? No.

There is no other incentive than sharing the message we believe in and helping others find it, too.

Sheri Dew said "Do you want to be happy? And I mean really happy? Then nurture someone along the path that leads to the temple and ultimately to Jesus Christ."

Well, I want to be happy. And my goodness, I know I'm going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment