Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rule Number 1 of the MTC is...


 
DON'T GET SICK! Everybody and their mom (okay, so only the missionaries that I met) told me to not get sick on the mission. I tried. I tried to be healthy, I used my sparkly hand sanitizer, I commanded my body not to get sick. And then it did. GAH. That's okay, though, because I busted out the stash of pills my mother sent with me and just took a junk ton of vitamins and other sorts of health stuff and I ate a lot of oranges and grapefruit (which...people actually LIKE grapefruit? not my fruit. Fer sure.) So I've gotten healthier. But soo many people have gotten sick while here. I don't know what it is--probably the change of the seasons. Yep. Now my companion has a nasty cough :(

 
That being said, there are so many other things I wish I knew before I came to the MTC. And other things that I should've done differently. and then some things I did do well that I'm glad I did.

 

For example: I wish I understood that I didn't really need to buy a new toothbrush for this...I could have brought my nice, better one. For some reason I thought the MTC was some kind of camp...or something. And I'm the kind of person who will stare at the cracker section of the grocery store trying to figure out what kind of graham crackers to buy for s'mores and then end up buying and going home with oyster crackers. That being said, in efforts to buy the cheapest toothpaste, I have been brushing my teeth for the last six weeks with Colgate kids! brand, bubble fruit flavor. Not even complaining, I love bubble fruit flavored toothpaste. But between that and my Little Mermaid bed sheets, nobody takes me very seriously. It was especially awkward when a sister asked to have some toothpaste because she had left hers back in her room. Yep...I'm a really cool Zuster.

 

Anyways:

1. Just don't shop at Downeast unless you want to have the same exact clothing as every other sister here. I understand that's like the only modest store in a lot of cases...so....you could also opt for shopping there, getting here, and then coordinating to match with sisters, like I did. Zus Packer from district B and I totes rocked our matching skirts on mint wednesday. We got both the dutch districts to wear mint on that wednesday. It was a beautiful day.

2. Make sure you write everything down in your journal. Even if you think you'll remember--you wont. I cant even remember what happened yesterday. ....OH yes I do. but that took some time.  Luckily, I wrote it down.
3. Use your time wisely. There is a lot of time in the day that the teacher isn't there. It's so easy to not do personal study because you're only accountable to yourself, but do it. They say you don't come to the MTC to learn the language. You get a fundamental of it, but that's all. You come to the MTC to learn how to be a missionary! And that involves INTENSE STUDYING. You will be just fine as long as you use your time effectively.

4. Be humble. It is a lot easier coming into this thing humbly than having this place humble you. unfortunately, I had to do the latter. I tried being humble, at first, but...I had to be more humbled, I suppose.

5. Time goes by SO scary fast. Ridiculously fast. So if you have a problem with someone--a district leader, a companion, a branch president, a teacher---either talk about it if it's a huge deal or just get over it, because life is like a basket weave--oftentimes you'll never meet the same people again, but their strand of thread crosses yours at a perfect moment of time and then they're gone. So tough out the hard times that make you appreciate the good ones. Or better yet, just make all the hard times good ones, because otherwise you're just wasting time. Someone said something that offended you? Don't take offense. "A fool is one who takes offense when none is intended. A greater fool is one who takes offense when it is intended." Anger is a useless emotion. Unproductive. Just makes you feel bad. Same with frustration and discouragement. Don't let the devil use his tool of discouragement on you.

6. Dont sit by the ice box on the first day--because then it's your spot for the next however long you're there and you and your companion FREEZE.

7. Make friends with everyone. Seriously. You meet the darndest people in the MTC bathrooms. One of my favorites, Sister Naked (Sister Boone, but I called her sister naked and she called me sister garden. Why? Because the first time I met her she came in to the bathroom and started talking to one of her roommates about how some sisters came and knocked on her door and she thought they were her friends, so trying to be funny she called out "I'm naked" and turns out she didn't know them at all. and then my last name means garden, we've been over this) left for Boston today on her reassignment. She was supposed to go to Peru. But see, friend for life because of the MTC bathroom.

8. Seriously pack smartly. Just do it. You don't need to take that much stuff. And you should probably consider good shoes. before a month.

9. Just listen to your mother. She may nag you a lot, but if you don't, you will probably end up like me thinking "I should've listened to my mother." About everything. You're mother is a genius, that's why her name is mom.

10. You'll hear it 17 thousand times while you're here and even before you get here, but BE OBEDIENT. Obedience is the first law of heaven, or something cool like that. "Obedience brings blessings. Exact obedience brings miracles."

11. Dont get lazy before you come in. I know the wait is excruciating, but if you get slothful with your studies or motivation, it's...not good.

12. PRAY ALL THE TIME.

 

Okay so there's that. Now: overview of past week:

 

1. We had mission conference on Sunday. District President Jenkins was our "special speaker" and he came to OUR DISTRICT afterwards for our district meeting. We talked about the Atonement. It was INTENSE. I learned so much though.

2. My companion's graduation from college was on saturday and she didn't get to be there because she's here, doin the work, so Elder Corsini, our district AND zone president, put on a little ceremony for her. and invited the WHOLE ZONE. It was hilarious. She wore a sheet as her gown. He wore his bathrobe as his. Oh man. Hilarious.

3. We got baptismal commitments from our two "investigators" yesterday. Yeah, two committments in one day.

4. We got a new dutch district! 8 elders going to Suriname! We also got more Sweeds.

5. One of our teachers reverantly talked about how much swagger Ammon had for boasting of his God.

 

This being my last P-day in the MTC is cray. I think if I had to say what I learned the most about it would definately be repentance. Repentance=change. Change for the better. And we all need to change for the better. And it is through Christ and His Atonement that we can turn away from an old life and an old self and become someone new and better. Some people will never let you forget some things you've done, but once you repent, Heavenly Father doesn't remember it anymore. Ever. At all. It's like that super cool thing that takes all the inaapropriateness out of movies. And I may have said this all before but the purpose is to invite others to recieve the gospel through faith, repentance, baptism, holy ghost, and enduring to the end. Repentance seems so daunting. So severe. But it's not. It's a gift. An opportunity to stop being someone we dont like and become someone we love. I just love that a lot.

 

We got our travel plans this past week! WOOOOO!!! We leave on Monday the 10th to go to Amsterdam! It's a straight through 13 hour flight. From Salt Lake to Amsterdam. Yeah whatup. So excited.

 

Well, Tot Holland!

 

xoxo

 

Zuster Hoff

No comments:

Post a Comment