Saturday, January 25, 2014

There's no place like Holland for the Holidays

And by Holland I mean Drenthe. And by Drenthe I mean Assen. Because it's AWESOME.
 
Okay. So I must now express my embarassment for quoting Ezra Taft Benson in my last weeks blog post and crediting Joseph B Wirthlin. Sorry, they are just two dazzlingly brilliant men I just couldn't remember which one said that. Don't worry, I have taken up a more intense study of Preach My Gospel since then.
 
Anyway--this week was SO GOOD. So I don't know about other missions, but in this mission, I've never had 12 lessons in a week before. And we just did that. WHAT. UP. We have been working our litle tails off, and the Lord has been delivering MIRACLES.
 
A year ago today, I stood up in my singles ward and bore my testimony about how I was so excited to get my mission call. A year ago friday, I recieved my call. TO THE BELGIUM NETHERLANDS MISSION. Friends--that is where I am. And it is an incredible place to be. I can not believe it's already been a year since then. Yesterday marked seven days from the day I entered into the MTC. In the MTC, I remember people saying "when it gets tough, just remember the day you recieved your call" and all I could think was "pfft, more like the day I replied to my call."
 
In my acceptance of my call letter, I quoted the fabulous Sheri Dew. "Do you want to be happy? And I mean really and truly happy? Then nurture someone along the path that leads to the temple, and ultimately to Jesus Christ." That's the truth. I am not out here to baptize. I am out here to ETERNALIZE. And That can only be done with Jesus Christ. So it's a good thing got him on my side. And that was all just one big rhyme wow I am such a rap star.
 
Speaking of rap star, I told the branch president and his family about my Joseph Smith rap. I'm now the coolest missionary that's ever served in this place.
 
Word.
 
This week is going to be SINTERKLAAS. I think that's how you spell it. And I am so excited to have my first (and only) Sinterklaas here in Assen. I'm gonna leave my shoes out. Hopefully I'll get somethin good.
 
Speaking of shoes, the soles on my boots are falling off. Shucks. But that's okay because "there will be days like this--when your boots will fill with rain, and you'll be up to your knees in disappointment--but those are the days you have all the more reason to say 'thank you' because nothing is more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shore no matter how many times it's pushed away." --Sarah Kay
 
It's gonna be a good week. So smile and decorate! It's DECEMBER!!!!
 
Liefs xoxo
 
Zuster Hoff

No comments:

Post a Comment