Monday, March 31, 2014

Consider the Tulips

Title: Consider the Tulips
 
The land of the tulips has begun to spit some up--everywhere. These are just the pre-season tulips, they're not quite official or anything, but they are beautiful.
 
This past week has certainly been an interesting one. We have talked to some cool people, taught some cool people, and just had a pretty good week. When the lessons fall through--sometimes there's something better. Or sometimes, there is just a lesson that fell through. But everything has it's reasons.
 
My "pointless miracles" rant was a little incoherent last week. It was more of an inner debate I had to have with myself. But I think this week I think I want to add to it. It has to do with the quote "sometimes things fall apart so that other things can fall into place." Emphasis on the sometimes. But those sometimes, I've found, are really worth it.
 
This week, we had an appointment lined up with this really cool guy, we had even called and confirmed it, but we called almost every active woman to be a joint teach, and nobody could come with. So we finally arranged for the elders to come with, and at almost the last minute, he called and said he had to work late. So, it being the half way mark of my companion, we needed to do something to celebrate (and we had also scheduled too many appointments that night for dinner so yay-cancelled appointment means we can eat, in this case) so we decide to go get ice cream. And the sign on the door says it's open until 8 but it is definately not 8 yet, nor is it open. So we turn back, and on the way, there are some men at a bar, sittin outside, who see us and are talking among themselves about the mormons, when my companion, overhearing them, goes up to them and gives them a card. I was just thinking "wow, I wish I was as cool and fearless as my companion. I am going to contact the next person I see." The next person I see happens to be drunk or at least severely intoxicated and was also smoking. He was at least a nice one (mean drunks are not fun) and he actually seemed pretty interested. He talked to us about his addictions--how he had been trying to overcome them but he was in a relapse. He told us about how he hadn't been sleeping. We were able to tell him a little about the enabling power of Jesus Christ's atonement, walk with him to our church to show him where it was, invite him to maybe come to church sometime, and say a little prayer with him. He gave us his address and then we said we'd be in touch. His name sounds like Shirt.
 
A few days later, my bike decided to just stop working. The back wheel (darn those back wheels) wouldn't turn in a normal circle, it was way too loose but unable to be tightened. Not sure exactly what happened, I just know it stopped working. So we had to walk/take busses/rent a bike. My companion's bike started having issues, too.
 
Well, Shirt didn't come to church on sunday--we didn't really think anything of it, but today, we went down to the station to take my rented bike back and also took my companion's bike in and we thought we'd go to the church really quick to see if we could pick up a Chinese Book of Mormon. We also took my bike on over to the church so that it wasn't sitting at the station too long and getting taken away. I was practicing the piano when my comp and I heard knocking on the door. We went out to see who it was, and it was Shirt. He seemed a little eccentric today, but he said he was sober and that he had been getting some sleep, so we gave him the benefit of the doubt. We talked to him a little and I mentioned my bike was out of working order and he said he knew an old man who's hobby was bikes--I said I'd rather just buy a new one because mine was so bad--I showed it to him. He agreed. And then he said he'd line me up with a new bike. It kinda didn't seem like he would actually do it, but I thought "well, I need a new one today, so by the time he does, I'll just say I already bought one, and it will be fine." But he left, we went back into the church so I could learn how to play the whole song (top and bottom hand! I am getting so good! haha) and then we got a call from Shirt. He said he got a bike from this old man friend of his and he was on his way back with it--asked if we were still at the church....we were. So..I paid 20 euro and it's actually a really decent bike. Obviously it needs a headlight and a chain to lock it up, but otherwise...it's great. But then there's the question--did he just go steal this bike and now I'm riding a stolen bike?
 
When do you stop assuming positive intent? How do you ever really know if people are sincere? Maybe he scams people often. But we have his address and phone number. So...is he stupid? Or did he really need somebody to reach out and show him love and now he's giving back? There's also the miracle that we went to the church at that time and stayed for that long and that he came knocking at the church doors. All the signs point to--miracle. Well...a lot of the signs.
 
Maybe it was a miracle. Or maybe I'll get stopped by the police for stealing a bike and the miracle will be invalidated. Or maybe the person who's bike it is will find me and I'll give the bike back and it will turn out that this person is open and ready to recieve the gospel of Jesus Christ. Or maybe, this miracle is just right in front of me and I need to accept it as such. All it took was one fallen through appointment.
 
Christ said "consider the lilies of the field how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin;...wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the over, even so will he clothe you if you are not of little faith. Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things..."
 
I, like Nephi, don't know the meaning of all things. But I know that God loves His children. He knows our needs. And He answers our prayers. 
 
I don't know if this was also incoherent or made sense...but I feel better now :) Some things fall apart so that others can fall into place. Some things fall into place so that miracles can happen. As Einstein said--there are two ways to live: one is as if everything is a miracle. The other is as if nothing is.
 
Happy Saint Patrick's Day, friends! I hope you all are wearing green. :)
 
xoxo
 
Zu

No comments:

Post a Comment